Wednesday, April 7, 2010

You can only Take what you can carry

So I watched Up in the Air a little while ago, and the whole "what can you pack in your backpack" really got me thinking. Yes I do know that in the end of the movie his life is changed and he no longer ascribes to this philosophy blah blah blah, but still. Since I am graduating and moving on with my life very soon I need to reorganize by life to figure out what relationships are important and I will take effort to keep intact, other than on facebook. I am REALLY bad at keeping in touch and I need to fix that.

So my family is worried they will never see me again after graduation, an ungrounded fear but a fear for them non the less. So I need to keep a planner and write all my family's birthdays and mailing addresses down because it is the small things like cards on their birthday that remind them you love them. I will also make an effort to call my parents and sister every week, hopefully, and let them know I am alive. I will be the first in our tribe to really move far away from our tribal lands so they worry. My family in general is an tribe, we all have duties we perform and we work best when together, no one in my fam has ever been a loner, which is why it physically hurt a little not to be with them all the time. I always imagined myself and my sister hosting family gathering in our homes that are down the street from each other and the house we grew up in. I was born in the same house as I was raised, we never moved, we are people that put roots down. I have always struggled with the idea I might not always be in Virginia Beach, I really do want to raise my kids there.

Also, I have cultivated a wonderful and supportive Family at VCU that I have to keep in contact with.(I will elaborate in the future)

Well that is alot to spout. I will continue this after TOMMY opens, when my brain functions like a humans again.

No comments:

Post a Comment